Saturday, March 20, 2021

First Day of Spring: It's Like They Know

The first day of spring is always exciting. I was doubly excited this morning to discover that the first tomato seeds have sprouted. Brandywine Red, an heirloom tomato with large fruit, and Petit Bec, a slightly larger than cherry-sized tomato, have each produced seedlings. 

Brandywine Red has sprouted in
my kitchen window

Marvelling at the timing of the tomatoes, I found myself thinking, "It's like they know." I figure tomatoes must have a good sense of season, far beyond the soil and sun that signals to them that it's time to start growing. I think tomatoes also have a good sense of self. They are confident in their purpose. We should all be so lucky. My unfurling seedlings, rising up, unfolding from the soil, and reaching for the light on the first day of spring inspired this poem.

It's Like They Know

It's like they know the sun grows strong
That winter is retreating.

It's like they know the time has come
For stretching after sleeping.

It's like they know the rains will fall
Rush through them, rivers flowing.

It's like they know they will grow tall
Sun-kissed and warm, green glowing.

It's like they know their leaves will sway 
In breezes hushed and rustling.

It's like they know their vines will climb 
With fruit plump red and bustling.

It's like they know tomorrow waits
For seeds windswept and sowing.

It's like they know time runs short
The snow will soon be blowing.

It's like they know.

Petit Bec will produce a large cherry-type
tomato. My seeds were quite old, so I am
exceptionally impressed by their growth
 

One thing I know for certain is that I will be enjoying the growing season ahead.

Happy Gardening!

© My Roots Run Deep II

No comments:

Post a Comment